Sunday, May 11, 2014

When Sinful People Look For Truth

One of the strangest things about having an opinion is the knowledge that there is a whole world out there beyond you that, if you knew it and experienced it, would render your opinion comically or even tragically simplistic. Yet we press on all the same, and I think we're right to do so. But it would be nice if I took these basic limits deep into my bones more often. There is a sense in which my views are wrong -- necessarily, unavoidably, and perpetually wrong. But they're the only views I have and I've got to work with them. And, I think, if I really kept this reality in front of me, I would tend to be a little less wrong, because when it comes to the things that really matter, the spirit of what we believe is often as important as the content.

No comments:

Post a Comment