Sunday, April 22, 2012

read this book

I'm finally reading through the whole of Michelle Alexander's The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness, which I think I first blogged about years ago. It is as good as advertised. It is especially notable, I think, for laying out how a series of supreme court decisions in the past two decades has legitimized de facto racial discrimination and made it all but impossible to legally challenge the unconstitutional and racist justice system.

I don't plan to share more tidbits from the book. I'd rather you read it yourself. If you're a friend or family member and you'd like to read the book but don't have access to it through your public library system, I will buy the book and ship it to you. Please just email me or leave a comment and I'll get it to you as quickly as possible. Don't be shy.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the recommendation. Maybe we can pick up a copy while you are here this week, if we can find time between Settlers and Rook. Looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete